The chapter ring
The engraved and silvered chapter ring has Roman numerals and is signed Rippin Spalding. The blued steel hands are of the Breguet type.
The movement is driven by two spring barrels with fusees and has a duration of eight days. It is regulated by a Graham deadbeat escapement beautifully mounted on the back. The clock has rack hour striking on a bell. It repeats the last hour that struck by pulling the string.
The unusual brass frame consists of intersecting ovals and is surmounted by the bell. It is raised on wooden blocks placed on a stepped mahogany base.
The signature refers to James Rippin who was registered working in Spalding (Lancs) from 1828 until 1835.