French regulator in a brass-framed glass-dome, signed 'Robin au Louvre' on the dial. The movement has a going and striking train built on brass plates and a temperature compensating pendulum. This clock is a masterpiece of French craftsmanship and shows beautifully finished techniques.
The enamelled dial with gilt bezel has Roman numerals for the hours and Arabic numerals for minutes and dates. The date is indicated by a central blued steel hand. The other two hands are gilt.
The clock is placed on a bracket of white-veined green marble and stands on gilt feet.
Around 1785, Robert Robin (1742-1799) set up his business in the vicinity of the Louvre. He supplied the French court of Louis XVI.
Site by Artimin