The Paleis a/d Blijmarkt is Museum de Fundatie’s location in Zwolle. These neo-classicistic premises were erected between 1838 and 1841, based on a design by the architect Eduard Louis de Coninck from The Hague. It served as the Palace of Justice and later housed the Provincial Department for Town and Country Planning. In 2004/2005 the Paleis a/d Blijmarkt was converted into an art museum in accordance with a design by the architect Gunnar Daan.
In conjunction with Kasteel Het Nijenhuis, the Paleis has been home to the Museum de Fundatie since June 2005. The ground floor accommodates an extensive selection of works from the Museum’s own collection of visual art, from the late Middle Ages to the present day. This collection was primarily amassed by collector Dirk Hannema (1895-1984; former managing director of the Museum Boymans in Rotterdam) and includes works by old masters such as Strozzi, Vroom and Weenix, international top pieces by Picabia, Turner, Bernini and Canova, and a large collection of Dutch art by artists such as Mondrian, Israëls, Toorop, Van der Leck, Appel, Lucebert, Voerman and many others. Temporary expositions are compiled regularly, and are displayed on the top floor.