This pair of opulent table centerpieces follow a lithograph published by Ottomeyer and Pröschel and kept in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris.
Pierre-François Feuchère ranked as one of the leading bronziers of the Empire period, second only to Pierre-Philippe Thomire. Like him Feuchère made and supplied important pieces to Napoleon and his Imperial family as well as members from the German, Russian, and Spanish courts. Feuchère’s father, Pierre had been attached to the King’s stables where he made gilt work and other pieces for the royal coaches and carriages. Pierre-François (1737-1823) who was also employed by the Garde-Meuble executed many works for the royal châteaux. Pierre-François had his workshop at rue Notre Dame de Nazareth. In 1807 the local governor described Feuchère’s business as one of the most important in Paris and bestowed a grant of 100,000 francs.
An article written in the Bazar Parisien, 1822-23 praised the fine taste, the elegant design and quality of Feuchère’s work. Although the present piece is not stamped it can almost certainly be attributed to him on the strength of its quality and similarity with the Feuchère design in the album in the Bibliothèque Nationale (see literature). Another comparable piece in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris is also unstamped.
Feuchères designs were also executed by Thomire and Cie after 1815. Several pieces on the art market in the last decade were attributed to Feuchère or Thomire and cie. None of them were stamped.
Compare the design in Hans Ottomeyer and Peter Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen, 2 volumes, Munich 1986, volume one, p. 384, pl. 5.16.5.
Site by Artimin