A pair of giltwood French Louis XVI fauteuils à la Reine, raised on tapered fluted legs connected to the back and armrest by means of panelled rosettes. The bow-fronted seat has curved rails decorated with waved edging and a central acanthus leaf ornament. The backrest support carved with a twisted ribbon band and sculpted ornaments at the top and the bottom. The fluted armrests are carved with beading.
The armchairs are stamped on the back of each front rail: C Chevigny.
Claude Chevigny was admitted as Master to the Parisian guild of cabinetmakers on 27 April 1768. He worked in the Rue de Cléry until the Revolution. His exquisite chairs were of great quality and vigilantly made with sparingly applied but beautiful carvings. Chevigny mainly worked in the Louis XVI-style.
Chevigny supplied the Duc de Montmorency, among others. For the Duc de Choiseul’s Château de Chanteloup he made an ensemble of 24 fauteuils with gilt carving, now kept in the Chambre de Commerce in Tours. Chairs by Claude Chevigny can also be found in Paris in the Musée du Louvre and the Musée Nissim Camondo, as well as in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
Site by Artimin