Both finely cast and chiseled gilt bronze on marble base origal made for electricity.
Both with two finely cast and chiseled gilt bronze putti holding a floral stem with leaves, the three lower buds with lamp-fittings, the highest lacking the stand for a shade and fourth lamp, marble base with original turn-switch and at the back with a hole for the electrical cord.
The high execution of the bronze and gilding together with the subject make an attribution to the E.F. Caldwell firm very likely.
Edward F. Caldwell & Co., of New York City, was one of the premier designers and manufacturers of electric light fixtures and decorative metalwork from the late 19th to the mid-20th centuries. Founded in 1895 by Edward F. Caldwell (1851–1914) and Victor F. von Lossberg (1853–1942), the firm left a legacy of custom designed and finely-made, metal gates, lanterns, chandeliers, ceiling and wall fixtures, floor and table lamps, and other decorative objects that can be found today in many metropolitan area churches, public buildings, offices, clubs, and residences including, the White House (1902 renovation), St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York, New York Public Library, and Rockefeller Center.
Site by Artimin